How to start with this.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Hi we are new to GIS application. My company is a software development company and now we are in tie up with a company providing GIS data management. We are supposed to provide them GUI presentation of their data through Silver light. I came across ESRI and feel that this is the good one for Silverlight application. As i am new to this field i want some supporting documents/tutorial and guidelines. I was to show the shape files given by our partner company. I tried something from the samples given in this site. but i am not getting the control over it. not being able to manage the layers as expected by our partners. We are ready to pay for the services. can you guide me how to use the silver light components and how the payment terms work and all.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Have you seen the documentation provided by ESRI?

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

If you have well defined questions try asking on gis.stackexchange.com, it's the best QA site for GIS questions.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I want to develop a sample application with some Shape file containing details of our small city, Trivandrum in kerala, india. I have installed the Silverlight pack and i got some maps showing in my application from the ESRI servers. I have four shape files with me which i want to show in my application. One city layout, second city bus root, city main places and last city rail root. how can i load these files in my application as layer by layer. can any one help me with this. Now when i load one layer the others are not showing in a merged way. this is my requirement as a start up sample. Can any one help.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM

First of all you need to get the layer order correct, the base map with the city layout needs to be bottom layer and the line layers bus and railroads on top and if the main places arepoints it should be on top of all the other layers.

See the adding layer section in the documentation:
Layers are drawn bottom to top, so the first layer in the layer collection is drawn first (on the bottom) and each subsequent layer is drawn on top of it, in the order listed.  

When you see that the layers get shown in the correct order, you can start changing the rendering/symbology, to get the look and feel you need, see symbols and renderers in the documentation.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the Reply Mathias I will go through documents and will get if got more queries :-).